Artist CV for Rory Buckland
- 1999–2000: Computer generated imagery & animation. Media Forge Training
- 1992–1995: B.A (Hons) Fine Art 2.1. B.I.A.D, Birmingham City University
- 1991–1992: Unit 1 Exhibition Design. Hastings College of Art & Technology
- 1988–1990: H.N.C Building Studies (architecture). Brighton polytechnic
Artist CV Solo Exhibitions
- 2018: Symbolic Intervention. Madeinroath, St. Martins Church, Roath, Cardiff (October)
- 2017: This is Culture. Showcase Gallery, Southampton (solo show May/June)
- 2003: Landscape. For Coffee, The Custard Factory, Birmingham (solo show June)
- 2003: Landscape. The Rock Face, Birmingham (solo show Mar/Feb)
- 2018: Radical Social Practice. Fringe Arts Bath, Bath (May/June)
- 2017: Go Wild In The Country. Bruton Art Factory, Bruton (June/July)
- 2016: Pride of Place. East Street, Southampton (November)
- 2015: The Portrait. Marburae Gallery, Macclesfield (February)
- 2012: Summer Exhibition. The Public, West Bromwich (Aug/Sept)
- 2002: Rhubarb Rhubarb. Custard Factory, Birmingham (July/August)
- 1997: Bind. The Arbor gallery, Derby (November)
- Unique Too. Millais Gallery, Southampton (May)
- Unique. 49 Vyse St, Birmingham (February)
- Seedless. Hotsuka cultural centre, Tokyo, Japan (February)
- 1996: Vexy. Birmingham City University, Birmingham (November)
- 1996: Displacement. Bond Gallery, Birmingham (October)
2018: Madeinroath production grant.
2015: AA2AC Artist bursary.
- 2015/16: Artist in Residence, Southampton Solent University.
- Birmingham ,West Midlands
- Horsham, West Sussex
- Tarring Neville, East Sussex.
Artist CV Teaching and Workshops
I hold training certificates in ‘Prevent for Practitioners’ and ‘Safeguarding’
Various dates since 2008:
- Cardiff & Vale Heath Charity Devising art workshops, in professional health settings. I also teach the workshop in the Cardiff region.
- Arts Active Trust Delivering art workshops for young people, in the Cardiff region. I also devise the content.
I devised a community workshop explor the mind through writing, and discussion. I also taught this, which based around symbolic photomontage.
- Cardiff Metropolitan University Cardiff Open Art School
Devising lens based media, open access art courses. In theory, contextualisation and production. I also teach the courses.
- Cardiff Metropolitan School of Art and Design FabLab
Technical specialist. I also demonstrate and teach the use of equipment.
Other Teaching & Workshops
- Workers Education Association
Devising community based education. As well as running the courses.
- AA2AC Engage University Presentation. Life After Art School.
PowerPoint lecture to students on life as a creative professional. As well as advice on the opportunities to earn income.
- Southampton Solent University
Process and contextualisation tutorials for second year students. I also gave advice, regarding contextualisation to first and second year students.
- Hope and Homes for Children charity. 10 week Digital Photography and creativity workshop
Effects of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, camera modes. Lenses; zoom, focal length. As well as macro. Lighting, flash etc. Composition and cropping. Rule of thirds and golden section. Autofocus and focus point. I also explained metering, including exposure compensation. Histograms and White balance. Lightroom processing software. As well as a brief introduction to Adobe Photoshop.
- Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery’s Big Picture project and Birmingham Museum’s Collection Centre. ‘Ways of seeing and making the most of your camera‘
A workshop to explore basic & intermediate camera settings. In order to understand their effects on the photographic process. Finding new ways seeing & considering the effects of angles, available light. Using flash, micro, macro, shutter speeds. Depth of field, and the effect of filters. We then Reviewed attendees work individually and in a group scenario. This was done in order to help them understand and examine their decision making processes. Through providing constructive student feedback.
1997: Visiting lecturer, Southampton University
Lecture presentation to students, on life as a creative professional. I showed them how to develop work. I also gave insight into setting up projects & exhibitions. Including showing them how to market their work, and approach commissioners. As well as galleries.
I then gave tutorials with students. To give feedback and guidance on how to present their work.
Artist CV Art Practice and Freelance Work
Mixed Media Practice
- My research areas of interest include consciousness, psyche as well as states of perception.
- I produce of art work for exhibition, commission, residency. As well as sales.
- Devising educational artist workshops. I then run these in communities and formal settings.
- Production of mixed media work. This starts with drawings which I then composite digitally.
- I have used all formats of analogue and digital capture. Which also includes moving image.
- I have extensive experience of post-production editing. This includes processing and grading files. As well as retouching as required, using Adobe and Linux based software.